We were looking for a water filtration system for our whole house for a long time. ...
How is lake water turned into drinking water?
The city of Toronto produces potable (drinking) water by treating and cleaning raw water taken from Lake Ontario.
The following document from City of Toronto explains the cycle water goes through to become potable.
- Lake Ontario: Raw water is collected from Lake Ontario
- Screening: Large objects are removed from water by travelling through a screen
- Pre-chlorination: Chlorine is added to kill microorganisms
- Settling Basin: Heavy flocs drop out of the water is a settling tank and collected along the bottom
- Filtration: Layers of graded gravel, fine sand and carbon are used as filters to remove impurities from water
- Storage: The purified water goes into holding basins prior to distribution
- Add Ammonia: Combined with the remaining chlorine to stabilize the chlorine and keep the water safe during its trip from the plant
- Test: The treated water is tested regularly to ensure quality
- Distribution: Water is distributed to homes, apartments, schools and industries